Focused extracorporeal shockwave therapy (ESWT) involves applying energy to tendons when they have developed structural changes, often referred to / diagnosed as tendonitis or tendinopathy. The shockwaves disrupt the altered tendon structure, resulting in pain relief and encouraging the tendon to remodel with a normal structure.
Conditions treated include:
- Shoulder tendon pain
- Tennis Elbow / Golfers Elbow
- Wrist tendon injuries
- Hip and gluteal pain, for example, Greater Trochanteric Pain Syndrome (GTPS)
- Knee pain, for example, Patellar and Hamstring Tendinopathy
- Achilles Tendinopathy and other ankle tendon problems
- Plantar Fasciitis
ESWT is also beneficial in the management of bone fracture healing including:
- Traumatic fractures
- Stress or overuse fractures
- Osteoporosis-related fractures
- Delayed or Non-Union fractures
A course of 4-6 treatments is usually advised; this may also be complemented by corrective exercises or hands-on treatment in separate sessions.
*Please note that shockwave therapy requires a separate appointment from an initial consultation or follow-up appointment.
Want to know more? Please contact us to make an appointment.